"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Thursday, August 29, 2013

More Insect Repellent

As promised, I've completed another sachet to repel insects in my apartment. This time I used the medallion from Jon Yusoff's "Sweetheart Set". Here's a link to Jon's blog. There used to be a link to buy the Sweetheart Set; I can't find it anymore, but I'm sure you could e-mail Jon if you're interested. The set includes this medallion, a snowflake, a bookmark, and an edging.

The colors are Lizbeth 606 Charcoal and 137 Berry Burst, size 20.


This is another example of a design where the use of two colors brings out a whole new aspect of the design. Well, not really new, since Jon shows it in two colors on the pattern, but you can imagine how different it would look with just one color. I think the dark gray outlining the bright variegated thread also gives it a stained-glass sort of look, and I was pleasantly surprised at how symmetrically the variegated colors fell out.

As with the Fandango motif, I sewed this to an organza drawstring bag, which I then filled with bay leaves and rosemary to repel insects. If you sew your tatting to these organza bags, I recommend using invisible thread. That way you can just move from one picot to the next and not worry about the sewing thread showing. As noted recently by Carollyn, it's also easier if you pin the tatting in place then turn the bag inside out to do the sewing. (By the way, do check out Carollyn's blog; she has lots of interesting projects going on.) Then just be sure not to pull the stitches too tightly so the bag doesn't pucker.


It's kind of hard to photograph these bags, they are so shiny. I had to play around with the brightness and color saturation quite a bit, but in the end I managed to get a couple of decent pictures.


Here it is in my kitchen, hanging from the spice rack, which has a row of Shaker-style pegs along the bottom. The way it's hanging from two pegs here is only a pose for the photo. Really, I have both drawstrings looped over one peg (the one on the far right), since the other oven mitt hangs on the other peg. For some reason, the bag simply won't hang straight with both drawstrings on the same peg (the one I put in the bathroom hangs just fine that way). I've decided not to let this bother me as long as the sachet is doing its job, but I did want to be able to take one picture of it hanging straight.

By the way, when I say bay leaves, I am talking about the dried leaves of the bay laurel tree. I gather that in some parts of Asia, there are other leaves than might also be called bay leaves. I don't know whether these other leaves also have insect repellent qualities, but the bay laurel leaves in combination with rosemary work quite well.

9 comments:

  1. Oh this is a nice one and great color choice too! I can't keep enough of those little bags, and great way to show off your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I need to go shopping for some of those little bags this weekend. The bugs are getting to me! I love the colors you've used in the new motif.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, the colours are stunning. Great choice to use charcoal and berry burst. Great idea to decorate the sachets with tatting. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely little bags, anyone walking in your home won't know they are for the insects. Glad they are working, not sure if your bay tree is the same we have in the UK but we use bay in cooking, I have a large bay shrub in my garden very useful just walk up the garden and take a couple of leaves.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm pretty sure that Europeans and Americans mean the same thing by bay leaves. How lovely to have the plant in your garden! I have to buy mine at the grocery store.

      Delete
  5. I like the colours you have chosen. This is such a pretty design.
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice way to add some colors! I think the bay leave we use are the same thing btw.

    ReplyDelete
  7. NOW THAT’S SOMETHING! Talking about putting glamour or getting rid of insect on some point… Hmmm, maybe I could do something out of my old things like the bags that I had… Or if only these things can work like teabags it would be an AWESOME innovation… :D Just saying…
    PouchDepotInc.com

    ReplyDelete